Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Philadelphia- a lasting bond forged

Philadelphia has been home for the past 2 years. It has cradled my dreams and despair. It has seen my joy and my tears. It bears the roots of my lifelong friendships. Now as I spend my last couple of weeks here, it warrants some reminiscence for sure.

I can walk center city with my eyes closed. I know the obscure little streets, the tiny cafes, every half decent restaurant, even the names of buildings I've never stepped into. I know the faces of all the drivers of the Route 21 bus. They wink and tease me that I've been playing hooky from school if I don't show up for a few days. I feel a fuzzy familiarity even with the R6 train I ride every time I visit Arun.

It seems like it was just yesterday that I did the Rocky run up the stairs of Philadelphia Museum of Art. Only yesterday did I explore the quaint little shops of South Street. And gazed dreamily at the beautifully lit boats at Penn's Landing. And got lost looking for Sabrina's- a great restaurant in Philly's Italian Market. And legged it for hours, fascinated by the museums and other historical landmarks. Only yesterday...

For sure I will miss Philadelphia, the rather old and yawning city where I started my life in the US. But being a Wharton student is like living in a whole different world snuck away in its archaic veins. Where else can I do the famous Walnut Walk of Wharton- a nightlong pub crawl with 800 incredibly smart people wearing lingerie below the waist and business attire above the waist, without being taken for a lunatic? Will there ever be another Little Pete's and its delicious omelets at 3am after yet another wild Wharton party, with half my class waiting in line to get in? Can I even dream of 40 of my friends cramped together to celebrate my birthday at Rum Bar again? Oh how I will miss Walnut Bridge Cafe, my trusted caffeine haven before my dreadful 9am classes?! And the adorable couple that runs the cafe? Goodbye Schuylkill waterfront, goodbye Rittenhouse Square, goodbye MBA cafe, goodbye Huntsman Hall-my home away from home...

4 comments:

buddy said...

i whined similarly when i had to leave Boston..one lives
all the best

lucky said...

"For sure I will miss Philadelphia, the rather old and yawning city where I started my life in the US."

Man.. are you 60 or what! hmm time I do some surgical interventions and inject some energy !

Kavitha said...

buddy: encouraging!

Lucky: I think you should go back and read the post and understand that it's not a sad one.

Narendra shenoy said...

All the best, old girl. That was beautifully written!